Gram flour dumplings, boiled and fried , dunked into a onion garlic based curry is a traditional Rajasthani specialty.
Preparation Time – 20 Mins
Cooking Time – 25 Mins
Makes 6 servings
My parents were here!!…and I have got the new recipe for my blog.Its gram flour dumplings or we all know this famous dish as Besan Ke Gatte.This is my mother’s best recipe as many times I have seen people requesting her to make this rajasthani specialty just for them and I too requested her to make this recipe for my blog :). I can bet this besan ke gatte can give strong competition to any paneer or non vegetarian dish.
For the Curry For the Gattas (dumplings)
Onion – 3 Medium to a fine paste Besan (Bangal Gram Flour) – 2 Cups
Ginger- Garlic Paste – 3 Tbs Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tbs
Black Cardamom – 2 Oil – 1 tbs
Green Cardamom – 2 Chili Powder – 1/2 tbs
Mace – 1/2 Water – 1/4 cup
Peppercorns – 4 to 5 Salt to taste
Cumin Seeds – 1 tbs
Cloves – 2 to 3
Coriander powder – 2 tbs
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tbs
Chili Powder – 1 tbs
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tbs
Coriander Leaves for garnishing
For The Gatta
- Combine all the ingredients for the gattas. Knead into a firm dough using 1/4 cup of water.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions and make balls and roll each ball into a circle.
- Spread little bit of oil over the circles and shape the circles by folding it into a long cylindrical rolls.
- Cut the cylindrical rolls into pieces and keep aside.
- Boil plenty of water in a pan and cook the gattas in boiling water for 7 to 8 minutes till they float on top. Drain and keep aside.
- Add oil into a hot pan and shallow fry the gattas till crispy and keep aside.
For The Curry
- Add little bit of more oil in the same pan in which gattas were fried.
- Crush all the ground spices given in the ingredient for the curry.
- Add crushed ground spices in the hot oil.
- When the seeds crackle add ginger garlic paste.
- Add onion paste and saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.Saute for few seconds and cook for 10 mins on medium flame.Keep stirring.
- Add little bit of water and mix well.Add the gattas and mix again.
- Add enough water to make a curry consistency.
- Add salt and garam masala powder and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves and serve hot.
And that’s it for the recipe method. For your recap, here is the video version: