Pav Bhaji is a spicy blend of vegetables in onion tomato gravy served with pav toasted in butter. This Maharashtrian fast food dish is garnished with coriander , chopped onion , a dash of lemon and lightly toasted pav.
Preparation Time – 10 Mins
Cooking Time – 30 Mins
Serves 4 plate
Pav Bhaji , my most favourite dish and it everytime just tickles my taste buds. I must say its an innovation of a hot meal that just can be grabbed on the go. It is easy to cook and also filling. Every time I go to a street stall I just ask for the pav bhaji. I think its a hurried meal for the man in the street. I made bhaji many times with pav bhaji masala and always thought its a magic masala but this time I made bhaji with spices those are already available in my pantry. I have also added red food colour to my bhaji to give it a nice red colour which we found mostly pav bhaji dish in any street stall.Bhaji with pav, its the most magical part of the dish that bhaji is served with the pav toasted with the oodles of butter.
Ingredients For Pav Bhaji
- Pav – 8
- Butter – 4 Tbs
- Cauliflower – 1 Cup roughly chopped
- Cabbage – 1 Cup roughly chopped
- Potato – 1 Cup roughly chopped
- Onion – 1 1/2 Cup Finely chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1/2 Cup
- Tomato – 1 Cup finely chopped
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tbs
- Asafoetida Powder(Heeng) – 1/2 tbs
- Coriander Powder – 3 tbs
- Fennel Powder – 1 tbs
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tbs
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tbs
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tbs
- Oil – 2 tbs
- Butter – 25 gm
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Red Food Colour – 1/2 pinch (Optional)
- Pressure cook the cauliflower , cabbage and potato with little bit of water.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add cumin seeds and asafoetida powder.
- When crackle add chopped onion and saute for 2-3 mins till they get lightly brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 1 min.Add coriander powder and mix.
- Add chopped tomato and mix.Add little bit of water and cook for 1 min.
- Add fennel powder, kasuri methi, red chili powder and turmeric.
- Cook for 2 to 3 min till the tomato gets soft.
- Add the boiled vegetables and mash thoroughly with a masher.
- Add water if required.
- Add Butter and mix.
- Add salt and mix.
- Add red food colour to give it a nice red colour.(optional)
- Slice each pav into 2 horizontally.
- Apply a little butter on each side of pav.
- Heat the tawa and cook the pav till they are crisp and lightly brown.
- Serve the hot bhaji top with the chopped onion ,coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
- Serve it with hot and crisp pav.
- Bhaji can be made with any combination of vegetables.
- Cabbage gives the smooth texture to bhaji.(my personal experience)
- Use good quality of food colour.
And that’s it for the recipe method. For your recap, here is the video version: