|2 cups long grain rice1½ tsp mustard1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp fennel seeds
12-14 curry leaves
6 pods garlic
2-3 green chillies
1½ tbsp ghee
|2 big Onions5 big tomatoes½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
3 cups water*
2 tbsp corrainder leaves
2 tbsp roasted cashewnuts
- Place the washed rice and water in a microwave cooker. Add salt and cook on high for 15-20 minutes. Let it stand for 5 minutes, then open it. Fluff it up with a fork and keep aside.
- While the rice is cooking, chop finely the garlic, onions, tomatoes, green chillies and corriander leaves and keep aside for later.
- Take ghee in a microwave cooker and add to it mustard, cumin and fennel seeds. Microwave at high for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves, garlic and green chillies. Mix well and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Next, add the onions . Mix well and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Now, add the tomatoes and microwave covered for 4 minutes, till mushy. Add the chilli and turmeric powder and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Add to this the cooked rice and mix in gently. Microwave at 80% power for 2-3 minutes.
- Just before serving, mix in 1 tbsp of the corriander leaves.
- Serve hot, garnished with the remainder corrainder leaves and roasted nuts, with any raita or gravy of your choice. I would recommend this lip smacking Kozhi Vartha Kari or this delicious Veg Makhanwala.
*Adjust the water according to the instructions on the pack if any or based on previous experience.
Ideas and tips
- Be careful not to overcook the rice. The grains should be separate.
- Adjust the number of chillies used according to their pungency or to suit your palate.
- I have used the Milton microwave cooker, but you can use any microwave safe dish.
- You can use roasted peanuts instead of cashewnuts, for garnishing.