|2 cups long grain rice1½ tsp mustard1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp fennel seeds
12-14 curry leaves
6 pods garlic
2-3 green chillies
1½ tbsp ghee
|2 big Onions5 big tomatoes½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
3 cups water*
2 tbsp corrainder leaves
2 tbsp roasted cashewnuts
- Place the washed rice and water in a microwave cooker. Add salt and cook on high for 15-20 minutes. Let it stand for 5 minutes, then open it. Fluff it up with a fork and keep aside.
- While the rice is cooking, chop finely the garlic, onions, tomatoes, green chillies and corriander leaves and keep aside for later.
- Take ghee in a microwave cooker and add to it mustard, cumin and fennel seeds. Microwave at high for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves, garlic and green chillies. Mix well and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Next, add the onions . Mix well and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Now, add the tomatoes and microwave covered for 4 minutes, till mushy. Add the chilli and turmeric powder and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Add to this the cooked rice and mix in gently. Microwave at 80% power for 2-3 minutes.
- Just before serving, mix in 1 tbsp of the corriander leaves.
- Serve hot, garnished with the remainder corrainder leaves and roasted nuts, with any raita or gravy of your choice. I would recommend this lip smacking Kozhi Vartha Kari or this delicious Veg Makhanwala.
*Adjust the water according to the instructions on the pack if any or based on previous experience.
Ideas and tips
- Be careful not to overcook the rice. The grains should be separate.
- Adjust the number of chillies used according to their pungency or to suit your palate.
- I have used the Milton microwave cooker, but you can use any microwave safe dish.
- You can use roasted peanuts instead of cashewnuts, for garnishing.
Waking up to a Sunday morning to find country’s best shuttler make it to her maiden All England Badminton championship. Nice start to Women’s day 2015! She becomes the first Indian Woman to make it to the All England final.
With the rest of the world glued to the mecca of the Cricket’ championship, ICC Cricket world cup 2015 in Australia and New Zealand; it’s not a surprise you aren’t finding that many talks of Saina Nehwal making it to the final to be played today at 17:30 IST. I may be sounding like an anti-cricket fan; but trust me that’s not what I am trying for the moment.
Plans for the day? If not already, have some plan for a happy women’s day today. Especially as it’s a Sunday so you have all of your Husband’s attention for the full day ;). Take a day off from cooking, plan shopping and a fun outing, forget about the calories and eat well. Come on give it a shot, you are not going to gain a lot in a day anyway! Take half an hour in the day around the evening time in the balcony with your husband and a couple of cups of nice hot coffee or a chocolate smoothie. It’s your day, enjoy to the fullest !!
Don’t forget to wish your moms, sisters and female friends & relatives a Happy Women’s Day. And once more leave the veggies as is for a husband cooked lunch or dinner. You will be amazed how good they are in the kitchen, especially with India not playing any cricket this Sunday ;), which means no distraction apart from pleasing their beloved. And by the way for those looking to go the extra mile, there is this aphrodisiac red garden salad from Flavour Basket to make your day 😉 or there is this Strawberry glaze as well.
Whichever way you choose; have fun and yes a very Happy International Women’s Day 2015. As for food, here is a small list that we prepared just for your from our collection of food items. Pick a few items from Flavour Basket’ Women’s Day Special Food playlist.
If you are thinking to throw a splendid Holi party then we have some basic and easy tips for your gala! Why don’t you make your friends feel special on this colorful Holi and you will also be happy to see your friends shining in your party. So lets play Holi !
Just make a rough idea that how many people you are going to invite at your party. It well help you to plan a menu and will help you to decide an appropriate place where you are going to throw Holi Party. Call up your guests days in advance for Holi and make sure there will be same timings too for all the guests.
Indian festival is all about food and no party is hit without finger-licking food. If you are planning for a menu then don’t go for pizza, pasta or burger just choose some traditional Indian snacks like pakoda, gujiya, laddoos, rasgulla, chaat and dahi vada. For drinks consider everyone’s favorite Thandai and Chai . Just go desi for menu.
Let’s do Dance
Arrange some bollywood hits as it is the soul of any Holi party. you can arrange dhol also as this will make your Holi party more live and spirited.
Place & Decorations
Always go for an outdoor location for holi party as you and your guest can enjoy fully without disturbing your home decor. You can decorate your outdoor location with some marigold flowers and with some organic colors. Decorate different colours at the different places of your location.
Colours, the main ingredient of a Holi Party I should say :). Go for some organic colours as kids can enjoy Holi safely and as well for some pakka wala colour for your besties. You can make more fun by putting water filled tub in your playing area so your guest can enjoy watery and wet Holi too.
Smarty Tip – Clean up
Keep an option for clean up as when party is over your guest can wash their hands and enjoy your menu.
Wishing you all a very happy and smashing Holi. 🙂